Wednesday 15 September 2010

Creating a Movie Poster

Stage 1: From deconstructing a number of movie posters, we started to create our own. I decided i'd like my genre of music to be thriller-horror as i felt there was a broader range of ideas, then with comedy-characters laughing etc. Where as thriller, very moody, dark, happy then sad etc. After brainstorming & thinking about horror films, i knew i wanted to base it around a women lost/psycho/in danger etc, so the image would be a close up of her & would make the audience to question, who is she? would is wrong with her?.  I firstly sketched out a drawing of a pretty young, successful woman, with a sub-title 'what happened to a beautiful girl?' To make the audience want to find out what actually happened to her. My friend Monira, is a mixed race beautiful model, who i felt would fit perfectly, and that's where i got my initial title of 'Moni', (in 'Curly' writing) very simplistic but would of
shown the name of the character as the title.
Stage 2: Through developing, planning and more brain-storming my second sketch; i thought of the idea to have two images of the same model but half & half to merge one image, one side would be beautiful as aposed to the other side- ruined, scratched, matted hair etc. I also come up with the idea to cut the name 'Moni' in two, the first two letters (Mo) in curly, pretty writing- next to the beautiful side face & (ni) in bold, distressed font, to relate to the image. I also changed the sub-title to confuse readers even more, '2 sides, 1 person?', i felt this would bring up a number of questions, for example, 'what side?, 'has she got an evil side' etc. Lastly for this sketch, i drew around the image in a square, to show the image in a 'Polaroid image'.

Stage 3: My final sketch, i stuck to the same idea of two different sides of my friend, (beautiful/ruined). This time i could actually draw a Polaroid image, where i then furthered my ideas onto the title. I draw the 2 & 1 big, resulting in the title being '21' with still the sub-titles but smaller next to it, so it looked like: '2sides1person' & also the 2 & 1 would be cut outs from newspapers.

Coicidently, from looking at some movie posters, i found the movie 'Sorority Row' which looks fairly similar to the effect & idea i'm looking for of the photograph layout & mysterious

No comments:

Post a Comment