Friday 1 April 2011

Designing the Masthead and Logo for my Magazine


In todays lesson, Simon portrayed the importance of choosing a font and to research into the history of fonts, as they all have meaning and reasons, this made me become aware of the work and effort inputted into creating fonts, and the difference of impact when using different fonts and styles. He also emphasised the ability to design a font in many different ways, he inspired me in demonstrating some masthead designs, in which I responded by designing a number of different mastheads for my title Inspire, which ironically the title is inpirational as they're so creative and experimented. I altered colours throughout the font, for example one letter a blue and the rest of the letters being black which added interest, I also became creative and rotated individual letters, therefore it became more creative and effectively appeared inspiring and to intrigue the audience more. Through creating different styles by changing the colours of some letters and rotating some letters, I also began to further the creativeness by using symbols within the masthead design, such as I used the symbol for information which is an italic i and tried experimenting with this by using this for the i on inspire, I also used a symbol which was a swirl which I rotated to 'appear' as the e for inspire, other symbols I applied to the masthead included using a symbol which consisted of a number of tiny little swirly symbols, which resembled confetti almost, which I used in between the title 'inspir' and the 'e' which had been rotated, I used this as it portrayed the e had been seperated from the rest of the title and the symbol portrayed the little bits of the letter breaking off.

These are my designs for the Masthead and the Logo; I have decided to use the font Garamond as through research it is used for magazines and within trends of magazine fonts and graphic designs, Garamond is within the 7th favoured font, I also feel the font is big and bold, with traditional edges of the letters, which I felt was ideal as it was bold and stylish. I have also used symbols within the masthead designs to add more creativity and as the title is Inspire, it could be ironic the title could be inspiring, also as students are more attracted to fun, creative styles, I felt this fitted with it, I also used effects on some masthead designs such as the Horizontal Mask Type Tool, which made a letters made out of images which added more interest and creative design.  I chose the final masthead which I have pointed out with an arrow, as I felt the use of the symbol ‘I’ for information, emphasised the magazine will contain information, I also added a design of the e flying of the inspire, to add creativity and emphasise the new opportunities and roots from the college.
I also created a number of logo designs to portray the magazine is for Chichester college, I again used symbols, rotated lettering, use different colours for each word of Chichester College, combined traditional and modern font, which I felt they were all creative, however I went with the logo which is pointed out by an arrow, as I felt it portrayed the connectivity and togetherness between students within the college. Using different colours to add more interest and to follow within the college scheme of blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment