Tuesday 22 March 2011

Initial Idea for my magazine; Colour Sheme, Font, Sketches, Images, Title

Through preparing for my pitch I have created ideas for my colour scheme, fonts, images and title name through research into existing/similar products, into trends within graphic design for 2011, creating a mood board to set the mood of my magazine and creating sketches to visually process what my magazine front cover, contents page and double page spreadsheet will appear like.


Title Name

Through research into title names, I generetated some possible title names for my student magazines which included; Inspire, Achieve, Fresh, Soul and Unique which I felt were all inspiring, clean, bold titles. Through the questionnaire results I found the title 'Inspire' gained most results with 55% of the target audience favouring this title with comments such as; it reflects that the college inspires the students, therefore from the questionnaire results from the target audience the title of my student magazine will be 'Inspire'.


Colour Scheme and Why?



The colour scheme I will be using is blue as through research into the target audience by producing a questionnaire, I found the target audience favoured the colour blue, therefore as the brief states this magazine is for the target audience of 16-21 of both sexes, different economic-backgrounds, and the questionnaire asked these students, the results are reliable and by using the colour blue, the target audience will be attracted to the magazine by the use of colour scheme as they chose it. Also through researching into different trends of graphic designs for 2011, I looked into colour trends for magazines and I found the popular colours used include the colour blue (Peapod, Curacao and Regatto), therefore by using this colour scheme it is guaranteed to be attracted by the audience and graphic designers as it is a fact that it is a trend at the moment. Another reason I considered the colour scheme blue was because the college for my student magazine will be Chichester college which uses the colour scheme blue with their title. This is a print out of my colour scheme and why page on my pitch for the PowerPoint presentation which uses the colour scheme, and also shows the chart of results gathered by the target audience stating they preferred the colour blue.

Images
Images I will be using throughout my magazine include the images for my double page spreadsheet of activities which is an opportunity for students within the college, as there is an article of an interview of a past student to inspire other students there will be an image of the student which is being inteviewed. Throughout the contents page there will be accompanied images with the contents titles to show features within the magazine. For the main image on the front cover it will be different images of all different international students together to emphasise the college work together and support eachother, and to show the atmosphere that everyone is equal and friendly.

Fonts


                Through research into different fonts and Typography styles, I decided to use a more traditional font style for the title ‘Inspire’ and throughout all other fonts within the magazine to use model, bold fonts. I looked at different fonts on the website dafonts.com which had a wide range of different styles, modern and traditional, fonts I found included; Accents Romance Fatal Serif and Epitazzio.  For the masthead, I’m going to use a serif style font of more traditional styles, to show elegance and fancy style to the title ‘Inspire’.   I also looked at font styles within Microsoft Word such as; Bickham script pro which was within one of the most popular used fonts for graphic designers which are mainly used for formal occasions.   The font highlighted within the red box is the font I will be using for the masthead title, which is called; Monotype Corsiva, which is made within the style of the early Italian cursivies, which exemplifys by the work of the writing master Ludovico degli Arrighi in the sixteenth century. The capitals are of swash design, with characteristic flourishes, designed primarily for use as initial letters. Corsiva can be used for short text passages in advertising but can be  used to add sparkle to invitations, greeting cards and menus, and to give a sense of occasion, I felt using this one for the occasion of a new student magazine was relevant.   For the font throughout the rest of the magazine front cover to show headlines and features within in the magazine, I will be using the font Garamond as through research I found this font is popular and used by graphic designers, this font realeased in 1989 is through research seen as a great font for magazines, books, websites and was recently named the second best font after (Helvetica) by a German publication.


No comments:

Post a Comment